MacroView have made upgrades to the Create New Matter extension used in MacroView Case and Matter for clients who generate and organise their matter numbers through a SharePoint list (MacroView's default approach).
You can now specify a central matter list so that matter numbers can be sequential and unique across an entire SharePoint tenancy. This also greatly reduces effort during setup by only needing to create one matter list, rather than one per SharePoint site.
- To specify the central matter list:
- Open regedit and locate the following key: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MacroView\DMF\Customizations\MacroView\CreateNewMatter
- Double-click the entry labelled MatterListURL - this is where you enter the URL to the site containing your Matter List in SharePoint
- Add the URL to the site containing the Matter List, not the direct link to the Matter List itself. In the example below, we have located the site which contains the MVCM Matter List (1).
- Copy the URL from this site and paste it to the MatterListURL registry setting, only selecting the direct link to the site itself (2).
For example, the entire URL below is https://macroview365.sharepoint.com/sites/jp365/_layouts/15/viewlsts.aspx
However we only want to copy the first part of the URL, seen in the screenshot below: https://macroview365.sharepoint.com/sites/jp365/.
- Once the URL has been saved, all matters created using the Create New Matter extension will reference the list pointed to in the registry, even if a Matter List exists in the current site.
Technical note - The priority order for the matter list location is: Registry > Site > Site collection > Root site collection (e.g. https://organisation.sharepoint.com/).
This means that if a matter list is not present in the registry setting, Create New Matter will look for a matter list in the site. If it does not exist in the site, it will look for a matter list in the site collection. If a list doesn't exist in the site collection, it'll look in the root/home site collection. If a list can't be detected in any of those locations it will skip the numbering process.
In addition, you can also choose where the matter number is displayed in your matter name:
- At the front of the matter name, e.g. 1234 - Matter Name
- At the end of the matter name, e.g. Matter Name - 1234
- Or you can choose to remove the number from the name entirely and keep it stored in a hidden metadata column so it is discoverable by search, e.g. Matter Name
By default, the unique matter number will be displayed at the front of the matter name, however you can change it by completing the following steps:
- Open the SharePoint browser and navigate to your matter list.
- With the list open, click the List tab in the ribbon and select List Settings.
- Scroll down the page and find the subheading labelled Columns, then click Matter Number Position.
- Under the subheading Additional Column Settings, locate the Formula text field.
- Change the value of the formula to match the desired positioning for your matter number.
- For example, to remove the display of the matter number from your matter names, use the following formula: ="None". Or, to move the position of the matter number to the end of the matter name, use the formula: ="End"
- After you have finished, scroll to the bottom of the page and click OK to complete the process.
Create New Matter is included with MacroView Case and Matter v8.0.48 (November 2017) or later.
Note: Make sure you uninstall the old version of MacroView DMF Create New Matter from Control Panel > Programs and Features before installing the latest version.