Replaces the default right-click properties option in the MacroView DMF file list with a custom Properties menu option that allows the properties of multiple documents to be defined in a single operation.
How it works
The standard right-click Properties option in the MacroView DMF file list is hidden and new custom menu option labelled Properties is added in its place. This new option is enabled when any number of documents are selected in the DMF file list.
The custom menu item is enabled when:
- One or more documents are selected up to a maximum of 50.
- Only documents are selected (i.e. no folders or document sets).
When a single document, folder or document set is selected and the Properties option is clicked, MacroView DMF will display the standard DMF profiling dialog allowing the document properties to be viewed or updated.
When two or more documents are selected and the Properties option is clicked, MacroView DMF will display the standard profiling dialog with the following differences:
- The title of the dialog shows the number of selected documents.
- The default content type for the library is be selected.
- The default column values for the selected content type are populated.
Clicking Cancel closes the dialog without making any changes to the selected documents.
Clicking OK will update the properties on the selected documents with the following conditions:
- If the library contains only a single document content type and that content type DOES NOT include a person group property, the properties of each document are updated with the exception of the points in the notes below and without any further prompting.
- If the library contains only a single document content type and that content type DOES include a person group property, the following is dialog displayed to confirm the user wants to proceed.
- If the library contains multiple document content types, or the selected content type contains a property of type person group, a dialog similar to the following is displayed to confirm the user wants to proceed.
Clicking OK updates the content type and properties of all selected documents with the entered or selected values and any properties that are left blank are cleared from the selected documents.
- Any properties left blank on the profiling dialog will be cleared.
- Any properties of type person/group are not updated.
- Any documents that are checked out will be skipped and their properties will not be updated.
- Bulk updating of properties where the content type contains a property that has been defined as requiring a unique value is not supported. If this is the case a warning message will be displayed and the operation cancelled.
- Bulk updating of properties is not supported in Recents or Search mode. If the option is selected and more than one file is selected a warning message will be displayed and the operation cancelled.
Close Microsoft Outlook, DMF Explorer (if applicable) and the MacroView DMF Local Service then download and run the installer packages that corresponds with your installation of MacroView DMF or MacroView Message.
Tip: The trial version of the Bulk Property Update plug-in allows updating of up to 3 documents at a time.
Important: The full version of the plug-in for Bulk Property Update will only function once it is added to your MacroView DMF or Message license. Contact email@example.com to obtain a license.
- MacroView DMF or MacroView Message 8.4.1298 or later
- Microsoft Office 2010 or later
To find out if your customisation has been installed correctly check this help centre article.
If after installing the plug-in is not available refer to how to activate a licensed DMF or Message plug-in.
The default and maximum number of files that can be updated in a single operation is 50. This value cannot be set above 50 but can be reduced by setting the following value in the registry.