MacroView DMF and Message 365 allow an entire folder or document set to be moved from one location to another within the same SharePoint Online tenant.
MacroView DMF and Message 365 do not prompt for any metadata as part of this action but where the chosen target location contains the same metadata properties as the source item, metadata will be retained. Likewise, where the target location contains the same versioning settings, the source item versions will be retained.
If the content types, metadata columns or any other schema differs between the source and destination locations, a dialog will be displayed confirming whether or not to proceed as this might result in metadata loss if for example a content type does not exist at the target location.
How to move a folder or document set
Right-click on the folder or document set in from the MacroView DMF or Message tree or list view in Browse, Favourites or Recent mode.
Click Move to... to display the tree view and choose a target folder, library or document set.
The OK button will only be enabled when the:
- selected location is on the same SharePoint Online tenant or a My Site on the same tenant
- source location is a folder or;
- source location is a document set and the destination location is not a document set.
Then click OK to initiate the move which will be completed in the background.
If the content types, metadata columns or any other schema differs between the source and destination locations you will need to confirm whether or not to proceed.
If the move takes more than a few seconds a progress dialog will be displayed which can be hidden so you can continue to work while the move is completed in the background.
When the move is completed, Refresh the destination location to see the moved folder or document set.
- MacroView DMF and Message 8.5.1085 and later
- SharePoint Online
- You cannot move a document set or folder to a location where there already exists a folder or document set with the same name.
- Once the move has been initiated it cannot be cancelled.
- If a document set is moved to a library that does not contain the same document set content type, the document set will be converted to a folder (as is the case in the browser) and any metadata on the document set will be deleted.
- If the move fails, the source folder or document set and its content will not be moved however the new folder or document set may have been created in the destination location and will need to be deleted.
- Drag and drop is not supported.