The Email Standariser plugin for MacroView DMF and MacroView Message updates the name and metadata of selected emails in SharePoint to match the format used if they had been saved using MacroView DMF or MacroView Message.
This can be particularly useful to "standardise" small numbers of emails that have been saved to SharePoint outside of DMF or Message (i.e. via the browser) so that they can easily be found by filtering or searching on their metadata.
How it works
When a user selects one or more emails in the file list in MacroView DMF or Message the right-click menu shows a Standardise option.
If any of the selected files are not .msg or .eml files the Standardise option will not be available or will be disabled.
When the Standardise option is selected, provided the library does not have Require Check Out enabled, the selected emails will:
- be renamed using the Outlook Format defined under DMF Options > Office.
- have the content type set to the Default Email Content Type defined under DMF Options > Office.
- have their standard email metadata recorded if the Email content type contains the standard MacroView email metadata columns.
- Any duplicate emails in the selection are also deleted.
Before and After
The below images show a folder in a Teams with three emails before an after being standardised.
When emails can't be standardised
Require Check Out enabled
If the library has Require Check Out enabled the following message is displayed.
Email content type exists
If the library does not contain the content type configured under DMF Options as the Outlook Default Email Content Type the following message is displayed..
Unsupported naming format
If the Outlook Format setting under DMF Options is not one of the supported formats the following message will be displayed.
The following Outlook Format settings are supported.
* Available in Email Standardiser 1.0.13 or later.
Retention labels or missing properties
If any of the selected emails are unable to be standardised because of retention labels, missing properties or illegal characters a message similar to the following will be displayed.
Close Microsoft Outlook, DMF Explorer (if applicable) and the MacroView DMF Local Service then download and run the Email Standardiser installer that corresponds with your installation of Windows.
MacroView DMF 8.6.103 or later
- MacroView DMF or MacroView Message 8.6.103 or later
MacroView DMF 8.6.82 or earlier
- MacroView DMF or MacroView Message 8.0 to 8.6.82
If after installing the plug-in is not available refer to how to activate a licensed DMF or Message plug-in.
The maximum and default number of emails that can be standardised in a single operation is 50. To set a limit lower than 50 emails, set the below value in the registry.
- SharePoint Online / Office 365
- SharePoint Server 2013, 2016 and 2019
- DMF/Message client 8.0 or later