When a file is saved to a SharePoint Online (Office 365), OneDrive for Business or Microsoft Teams it is assigned a content type. A content type associates an file with key metadata and other information such as a template or a retention policy.
When saving emails and files using MacroView Mail, the user is prompted to select a content type from the available content types and enter the associated metadata.
You can also set the default content type that MacroView Mail will apply under settings. If the specified content type is not present in the selected location then the default content type for the SharePoint library will be selected.
Columns required to capture email metadata
If the selected content type is configured in SharePoint to capture the emails non personal metadata, this information will be recorded automatically on the saved email making it easy to find later using search.
Have you administrator follow the instructions below to update an existing content type, or create a new Email content type, that will automatically capture this information.
Email metadata columns
The table below represents the metadata columns used by MacroView to automatically capture email metadata properties when saving emails to SharePoint via MacroView Mail.
|Display Name||Internal Name||URL Name||Type|
|Conversation Topic*||mvConversationTopic||mvConversationTopic||Single line of text|
|To||mvTo||mvTo||Single line of text|
|From||mvFrom||mvFrom||Single line of text|
|CC||mvCC||mvCC||Single line of text|
|BCC||mvBCC||mvBCC||Single line of text|
|Sent On||mvSentOn||mvSentOn||Date and Time|
|Received Time||mvReceivedTime||mvReceivedTime||Date and Time|
|Importance||mvImportance||mvImportance||Single line of text|
|Attach Count**||mvAttach Count||mvAttach_x0020_Count***||Single line of text|
|Sensitivity||mvSensitivity||mvSensitivity||Single line of text|
|MessageID||mvMessageID||mvMessageID||Single line of text|
|Tracking Tag||mvTrackingTag||mvTrackingTag||Single line of text|
- ^ - The formula to display the icon is =IF([Attach Count]<>0,"📎"," ")
- * - Conversation Topic must be present for the Subject calculated column to function correctly.
- ** - Attach Count must be present for the Attachments and Attachment Icon calculated columns to function correctly.
- *** - _x0020_ references a white space character in the SharePoint URL.
MacroView Mail will automatically populate these columns if they already exist in the destination Document Library. These columns can be added at any time directly to a Library or to the Site Columns Gallery, however metadata capture will not work retroactively on existing emails.
With regard to the ‘Subject’ column:
- ‘Subject’ automatically displays the Conversation Topic. Conversation Topic is the Subject without any RE: or FW: prefixes. This enables the SharePoint user to group emails by Conversation Topic (discussion thread) when sorting by Subject (same effect as standard Outlook).
- When saving an email MacroView Mail will also automatically set the built-in ‘Title’ column to the Subject of the email.
- ‘Tracking Tag’ stores the tag assigned to emails by MacroView Predictive Email Filing (PEF) or MacroView Corporate Email Filing (CEF) if enabled.
All the columns should be added as ‘hidden’ columns to a content type so they do not appear in the profile dialog along with the other metadata columns.