MacroView DMF and MacroView Message automatically record email metadata and prevent duplicates when saving emails but what if you have saved emails to SharePoint without using DMF or Message.
The Standardise function updates the name and metadata of selected emails in SharePoint to match the format applied if they had been saved using MacroView DMF or MacroView Message.
How it works
When a user selects one or more emails in the file list in MacroView DMF or Message the right-click menu shows a Standardise option.
If any of the selected files are not .msg or .eml files the Standardise option will not be available or will be disabled.
When the Standardise option is selected, and provided the library does not have Require Check Out enabled, the selected emails will:
- be renamed using the Outlook Format defined under DMF Options > Office.
- have the content type set to the Default Email Content Type defined under DMF Options > Office.
- have their standard email metadata recorded if the Email content type contains the standard MacroView email metadata columns.
- Any duplicate emails in the selection are also deleted.
Before and After
The below images show a folder in a Teams site with three emails before and after being standardised.
When emails can't be standardised
Require Check Out enabled
If the library has Require Check Out enabled the following message is displayed.
Email content type exists
If the library does not contain the content type configured under DMF Options as the Outlook Default Email Content Type the following message is displayed..
Unsupported naming format
If the Outlook Format setting under DMF Options is not one of the supported formats the following message will be displayed.
The following Outlook Format settings are supported.
Retention labels or missing properties
If any of the selected emails are unable to be standardised because of retention labels, missing properties or illegal characters a message similar to the following will be displayed.
Enabling the Standardise function
By default the Standardize function is not enabled. To enable it open the Advanced tab on the DMF options dialog and check the Enable 'Standardise' command in file list
The maximum and default number of emails that can be standardised in a single operation is 50. To set a limit lower than 50 emails, set the below value in the registry.
- SharePoint Online / Office 365
- SharePoint Server 2013, 2016 and 2019
- DMF/Message client 8.9.173 or later
- If you are using a version of MacroView DMF or MacroView Message before version 8.9 you cna add this same functionality using a separate plug in. See Email Standardiser for more information.
- To standardise large volumes of emails, perhaps after migrating emails to SharePoint, the optional MacroView Standardiser Standalone is also available.